- PhD in Engineering (Sept. 2013 – July 2018)
- Major: Mechanics
- Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University
- Supervisor: Prof. Changqing Chen
- Visiting PhD Student (Jan. – July 2015) and Endeavour Research Fellow (June – Dec. 2017)
- School of Civil Engineering, The University of Sydney
- Supervisor: Prof. Yixiang Gan
- Bachelor of Engineering (Sept. 2009 – July 2013)
- Major: Engineering Mechanics
- Department of Engineering Mechanics, Shandong University
- June 2022 - now: Assistant Professor
- University of Birmingham
- Feb. 2022 - Aug. 2023: Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow
- Nanyang Technological University
- Host Mentor: Prof. K. Jimmy Hsia
- Dec. 2018 - Feb. 2022: Research Fellow
- University of Oxford
- Host Supervisor: Prof. Dominic Vella
Grants and Independent Fellowships
Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship, Nanyang Technological University (2021), S$400K
Newton International Fellowship, The Royal Society (2018), £106K
Endeavour Research Fellowship, Australian Department of Education (2017), A$25K
- Kansaraa, H., Liu, M.*, He, Y., Tan, W.* (2023). Inverse design and additive manufacturing of shape-morphing structures based on functionally graded composites. J Mech. Phys. Solids, 105382.
- Liu, M., Domino, L., Dupont de Dinechin, I., Taffetani, M., Vella, D.* (2023). Snap-induced morphing: From a single bistable shell to the origin of shape bifurcation in interacting shells. J Mech. Phys. Solids, 70, 105116.
- Huang, W., Liu, M.*, Hsia, J.K.* (2023). A discrete model for the geometrically nonlinear mechanics of hard-magnetic slender structures. Extre. Mech. Lett., 59, 101977.
- Huang, W., Liu, M.*, Hsia, J.K.* (2023). Modeling of magnetic cilia carpet robots using discrete differential geometry formulation. Extre. Mech. Lett., 59, 101967.
- Zhang, Y., Yang, J., Liu, M.*, Vella, D. (2022). Shape-morphing structures based on perforated kirigami. Extre. Mech. Lett., 56, 101857.
- Meng, Z., Liu, M., Yan, H., Genin, G.M., Chen, C.* (2022). Deployable mechanical metamaterials with multistep programmable transformation. Sci. Adv., 8(23), eabn5460.
- Liu, M., Gomez, M., Vella, D.* (2021). Delayed bifurcation in elastic snap-through instabilities. J Mech. Phys. Solids, 151, 104386.
- Liu, M., Domino, L., Vella, D.* (2020). Tapered elasticæ as a route for axisymmetric morphing structures. Soft Matter, 16, 7739–7750.
- Meng, Z., Liu, M., Zhang, Y., Chen, C.* (2020). Multi-step deformation mechanical metamaterials. J Mech. Phys. Solids, 144, 104095.
- Liu, M., Wu, J., Gan, Y.*, Hanaor, D., Chen, C.* (2019). Multiscale modeling of the effective elastic properties of fluid-filled porous materials. Int. J Solids Struct., 162, 36–44.
Service and leadership
- Early Career Advisory Board (EML-ECAB), Special Editor for Social Media Engagement: Extreme Mechanics Letters
Youth Editorial Board: Soft Science
Referee for peer-reviewed journals: J Mech. Phys. Solids; Extre. Mech. Lett.; Phys. Rev. B; Phys. Rev. E; Proc. R. Soc. A; Mech. Mater.; Phys. Fluids; Virtual Phys. Prototyp.; ACS Appl. Nano Mater.; Polym. Test.; Acta Mech. Sin.; Eur. Phys. J. Plus; Mech. Based Des. Struc.
- Referee for the funding agency: UKRI-Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC); Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong